The latest edition of the Cochrane Library has been published, including a new Oral Health Group protocol:
Systemic antibiotics for symptomatic apical periodontitis and acute apical abscess in adults
Anwen Cope, Nick Francis, Fiona Wood, Mala K Mann, Ivor G Chestnut
This is a protocol for a new Cochrane review. The review will evaluate the effects of systemic antibiotics for apical periodontitis and apical abscess in adults by comparing participant reported measures of pain and swelling, or clinician reported measures of infection.
Other highlights of the Cochrane Library, Issue 10 2012, include:
- Pacifier use versus no pacifier use in breastfeeding term infants for increasing duration of breastfeeding
- Exercise interventions on health-related quality of life for cancer survivors
- New treatments compared to established treatments in randomized trials
- General health checks in adults for reducing morbidity and mortality from disease
- Collaborative care for depression and anxiety problems
- Cranberries for preventing urinary tract infections
- Combined pharmacotherapy and behavioural interventions for smoking cessation
- Vaccines for preventing herpes zoster in older adults
Also featured is an editorial on General health checks for reducing morbidity and mortality from disease.