It’s been a bumper year for the Cochrane Oral Health Group!
This year we have published a total of:
- 16 new protocols
- 20 brand new reviews
- 17 updated reviews, 2 with changed conclusions.
Highlights have included:
- Primary school-based behavioural interventions for preventing caries (new review)
- Fluoride varnishes for preventing dental caries in children and adolescents. (review update)
- Interventions for replacing missing teeth: antibiotics at dental implant placement to prevent complications (review update)
- Oral hygiene care for critically ill patients to prevent ventilator-associated pneumonia (new review)
Interventions for the management of dry mouth: non-pharmacological interventions (new review)
- Antibiotics for the prophylaxis of bacterial endocarditis in dentistry (review update)
- Screening programmes for the early detection and prevention of oral cancer (review update)
- Triclosan/copolymer containing toothpastes for oral health (new review)
- Routine scale and polish for periodontal health in adults (review update)
- Orthodontic treatment for prominent upper front teeth (Class II malocclusion) in children (review update)
- Interventions for replacing missing teeth: different times for loading dental implants (review update)
- Operative caries management in adults and children (review update)
- Sealants for preventing dental decay in the permanent teeth (review update)
- Interventions for the management of mandibular fractures (review update)
- Ibuprofen and/or paracetamol (acetaminophen) for pain relief after surgical removal of lower wisdom teeth (new review)
- Interdental brushing for the prevention and control of periodontal diseases and dental caries in adults (new review)
- Recall intervals for oral health in primary care patients (review update)
We also published our very first review on diagnostic test accuracy:
Clinical assessment to screen for the detection of oral cavity cancer and potentially malignant disorders in apparently healthy adults . This review is now available for free on the Cochrane Library iPad edition for December 2013. You can find information on how to download the app from the Cochrane Library website.
In April, the Group’s Co-ordinating Editor, Professor Jan Clarkson, won the IADR Distinguished Scientist award for her contributions to research in the field of dentistry and oral health. October saw us host a very successful day for our Editors and Clinical Advisors, with training provided on summary of findings and risk of bias. The Group was well-represented at both the UK Cochrane Contributors’ Meeting in Oxford in March and the Cochrane Colloquium which took place in Quebec City, Canada in September.
The Group’s Global Alliance has continued to grow, with contributors including the National Center for Dental Hygiene Research and Practice (USA), Canadian Dental Hygienists Association, British Society of Periodontology, British Association of Oral Surgeons and the Mayo Clinic (USA) joining British Orthodontic Society, British Society of Paediatric Dentistry, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh and the College of Dentistry at New York University as members.
This year marked the 20th Anniversary of the Cochrane Collaboration. We have published articles in the American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics and the Journal of Dental Research to mark the occasion. The Cochrane Collaboration launched a series of videos to celebrate. The Group published two podcasts (on fluoride varnish and primary school based interventions for preventing caries) and their very first Cochrane Journal Club, also on fluoride varnish.
We would like to take this opportunity to thank our authors, editors, referees and contributors for making this a very successful year.
There are now several ways to keep in touch with us in 2014:
- Follow our blog by adding your email address to the box on the top right of the Home page and clicking “Sign me up”
- Follow us on Twitter
- Like us on Facebook
- Sign up to receive our eNewsletter
The Editorial Base will close for the holidays on 23 December 2013 and reopen on Thursday 2 January.
Season’s greetings and happy new year!