Follow the links for more information!
Oral hygiene care for critically ill patients to prevent ventilator-associated pneumonia
by Zongdao Shi, Huixu Xie, Ping Wang, Qi Zhang, Yan Wu, E Chen, Linda Ng, Helen V Worthington, Ian Needleman, Susan Furness
Ventilator associated pneumonia is a potentially serious complication in patients who are already critically ill. This new systematic review looks at whether keeping the mouth and teeth clean and preventing the build up of plaque on the teeth helps to reduce the risks. 35 randomized controlled trials were included, involving 5,374 participants. The review found that chlorhexidine mouthrinses or gels reduces the risk of ventilator-associated pneumonia by 40% but there was not enough research information available to provide evidence of the effects of other mouth care rinses such as water, saline or triclosan.
Interventions for the management of dry mouth: non-pharmacological interventions
by Susan Furness, Gemma Bryan, Roddy McMillan, Helen V Worthington
This new review looks at non-drug treatments used to stimulate saliva production for the relief of dry mouth. Nine clinical trials were included in the review, and they covered treatments including acupuncture, electrostimulation and powered toothbrushes. 366 people participated in the trials. The review found that the evidence was generally of poor quality.
Hypnosis for alleviation of anxiety in adults undergoing dental treatment
by Catherine Potter, Paul Coulthard, Richard Brown, Tanya Walsh
This is a protocol for a new Cochrane Oral Health Group review, which will consider the effects of hypnosis (with or without conscious sedation) in reducing anxiety in dental treatment.
Other highlights of the Cochrane Library, Issue 8, 2013 include:
Three new editorials:
- Mosquito larval source management: Evaluating evidence in the context of practice and policy by Robert D. Newman, Abraham Mnzava and Zsofia Szilagyi
- Oxygen therapy in acute myocardial infarction – good or bad? by Pascal Meier, Shah Ebrahim, Catherine M. Otto & Juan P. Casas
- Factor Xa inhibitors: a step forward in the treatment of atrial fibrillation? by Ale Algra
- ‘Mediterranean’ dietary pattern for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease
- Interventions to improve water quality and supply, sanitation and hygiene practices, and their effects on the nutritional status of children
- Simple behavioural interventions for nocturnal enuresis in children
- Factor Xa inhibitors versus vitamin K antagonists for preventing cerebral or systemic embolism in patients with atrial fibrillation
- Smoking cessation interventions for smokers with current or past depression
- Midwife-led continuity models versus other models of care for childbearing women
- Multimedia educational interventions for consumers about prescribed and over-the-counter medications
- Mosquito larval source management for controlling malaria