Updated review: Interventions for the management of mandibular fractures
by Mona Nasser, Nikolaos Pandis, Padhraig S Fleming, Zbys Fedorowicz, Edward Ellis and Kamran Ali
This is an updated Cochrane review, featuring a new literature search. The aim was to find out the most effective treatment for fractures of the lower jaw, and the best way to align and stabilize the fracture. 12 studies with a total of 689 participants were included. The quality of the evidence was poor, and the review recommends that further research is conducted.
New review: Interventions for the restorative care of amelogenesis imperfecta in children and adolescents
by Mayssoon Dashash, C Albert Yeung, Issam Jamous and Anthony Blinkhorn
Amelogenesis imperfecta (AI) is a tooth development disorder in which the teeth are covered with thin, abnormally formed enamel. The aim of this review was to compare the success rates of different restorative materials and techniques used in patients with the condition. However, no clinical trials were found which met the inclusion criteria of the review.
New protocol: Adjunctive surgical procedures for accelerating tooth movement in patients undergoing orthodontic treatment
by Padhraig S Fleming, Nikolaos Pandis, Ama Johal, Ahmed El-Angbawi and Zbys Fedorowicz
This is a protocol for a new review which will assess the effects of surgically accelerated orthodontics on the duration and outcome of orthodontic treatment.
New protocol: Topical herbal interventions for gingivitis
by Matthew J Leach and Lisa Thoms
A protocol for a new systematic review which will evaluate the safety and efficacy of topical herbal interventions for the prevention or treatment (or both) of gingivitis.
Other highlights of Issue 6 include:
- Specially formulated foods for treating children with moderate acute malnutrition in low- and middle-income countries
- Pharmacological agents for preventing morbidity associated with the haemodynamic response to tracheal intubation
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of home palliative care services for adults with advanced illness and their caregivers
- Screening for lung cancer
- Training to recognise the early signs of recurrence in schizophrenia
- Vaccines for preventing enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli (ETEC) diarrhoea
- Intravenous immunoglobulin for preventing infection in preterm and/or low birth weight infants
- Pharmacological interventions for smoking cessation: an overview and network meta-analysis
- Interferon alpha for the adjuvant treatment of cutaneous melanoma
- Cognitive rehabilitation for spatial neglect following stroke
- Rifamycins (rifampicin, rifabutin and rifapentine) compared to isoniazid for preventing tuberculosis in HIV-negative people at risk of active TB
- Topical herbal therapies for treating osteoarthritis
There are also three new editorials:
- Waiting for the evidence from ongoing trials: the role of surgery for treating clavicle fractures by Helen Handoll and Mario Lenza
- Growing pain: striving for quality, relevance and applicability in Cochrane Reviews by Christopher Eccleston, Phil Wiffen, Sheena Derry and Andrew Moore
- What should the Cochrane Collaboration do about research that is, or might be, fraudulent? by John Carlisle, Nathan Pace, Jane Cracknell, Ann Møller, Tom Pedersen and Mathew Zacharias