Irrigants for non-surgical root canal treatment in mature permanent teeth
Zbys Fedorowicz, Mona Nasser, Patrick Sequeira-Byron, Raphael Freitas de Souza, Ben Carter, Marc Heft
This new systematic review examines the antiseptic and antibacterial irrigating solutions available to help to eliminate infection during root canal treatment. 11 studies were included, with 851 participants. The review concludes that there was no difference between some of the irrigants or between the different strengths of individual irrigants.
Preoperative analgesics for additional pain relief in children and adolescents having dental treatment
Paul F Ashley, Susan Parekh, David R Moles, Prabhleen Anand, Amal Behbehani
This review examines whether or not to give children painkillers before dental treatment, in order to reduce pain afterwards. Five trials were included, with 190 participants. However, the available evidence was not sufficient to determine efficacy. There was some evidence that it could be of benefit before orthodontic treatment.
Systemic interventions for recurrent aphthous stomatitis (mouth ulcers)
Paul Brocklehurst, Martin Tickle, Anne-Marie Glenny, Michael A Lewis, Michael N Pemberton, Jennifer Taylor, Tanya Walsh, Philip Riley, Julian M Yates
25 trials with 21 interventions were included in this new systematic review on recurrent mouth ulcers. No single treatment was found to be effective and the results remain inconclusive.
Other highlights of the Cochrane Library, Issue 9, 2012 are:
- An editorial on Procalcitonin: hope in the fight against antibiotic resistance?
- Laparoscopy versus laparotomy for the management of early stage endometrial cancer
- Procalcitonin to initiate or discontinue antibiotics in acute respiratory tract infections
- Pacifier use versus no pacifier use in breastfeeding term infants for increasing duration of breastfeeding
- Inhaled analgesia for pain management in labour
- Cryotherapy following total knee replacement
- Interventions for preventing falls in older people living in the community
- Topical NSAIDs for chronic musculoskeletal pain in adults
- Separate care for new mother and infant versus rooming-in for increasing the duration of breastfeeding
- Clinical service organisation for heart failure
- Black cohosh (Cimicifuga spp.) for menopausal symptoms
- Spinal manipulative therapy for acute low-back pain
- Omega 3 fatty acid for the prevention of dementia