New review: Interventions for the management of temporomandibular joint osteoarthritis
by Raphael Freitas de Souza, Claudia H Lovato da Silva, Mona Nasser, Zbys Fedorowicz, Mohammed A Al-Muharraqi
This review investigates the effects of different surgical and non-surgical therapeutic options for patients with osteoathritis in the temporomandibular joint (the joint connecting the jawbone to the face). Three trials were included in the review, finding weak evidence indicating that intra-articular injections of sodium hyaluronate (a natural constituent of cartilage) and betamethasone (an anti-inflammatory steroid) had equivalent effectiveness in reducing pain and discomfort. Occlusal adjustment, food supplements and ibuprofen were among other treatments investigated.
New protocol: Gingival retraction for fixed prosthodontic treatment
by Zhaoyang Ban, Yuanyuan Jia, Chunjie Li, Zhimin Zhu, Yu Ban, Zongdao Shi
This review intends to assess the effects of different gingival retraction methods used with any type of abutment (teeth and implants) in fixed prosthodontic treatment, with regard to the outcomes of gingivitis, periodontitis, aesthetics, and tooth sensitivity.
Other highlights of the Cochrane Library, Issue 4 for 2012:
- Preoperative statin therapy for patients undergoing cardiac surgery
- Trastuzumab containing regimens for early breast cancer (Podcast available)
- Nicotine receptor partial agonists for smoking cessation (Podcast available)
- Interventions for improving outcomes in patients with multimorbidity in primary care and community settings (Podcast available)
- Helminth therapy (worms) for allergic rhinitis (Podcast available)
- Pain management for women in labour: an overview of systematic reviews(Podcast available)
- Disposable surgical face masks for preventing surgical wound infection in clean surgery (Podcast and Journal Club material available)
- Cervical stitch (cerclage) for preventing preterm birth in singleton pregnancy