The Cochrane Oral Health Group is recommending the use of the PRISMA flow diagram for all new reviews. The PRISMA flow diagram “depicts the flow of information through the different phases of a systematic review. It maps out the number of records identified, included and excluded and the reasons for exclusions.” (http://www.prisma-statement.org/statement.htm, see also Moher, Liberati and Tetzlaff, 2009.
PRISMA can be incorporated into a Cochrane review through the RevMan software.
To insert a PRISMA diagram:
- Right click figures in the left side panel and choose Add Figure
- From the options presented, choose Study Flow Diagram (PRISMA Template)
- The flow diagram template will appear in the Figures section
- The buttons across the top of the screen can be used to edit the diagram
- To edit the text within the boxes, double click a box to open the editor
If you have any problems creating a PRISMA flowchart, get in touch with the Editorial Base.