Psychosocial interventions for the management of chronic orofacial pain
by Vishal Aggarwal, Karina Lovell, Sarah Peters, Hanieh Javidi, Amy Joughin, Joanna Goldthorpe
This review examines the role of psychosocial factors in the onset of chronic orofacial pain, and considers the evidence for psychosocial treatments as opposed to the invasive treatments often used. 17 randomized controlled trials were included. Interventions examined include cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), biofeedback and posture regulation. The review found that the quality of the evidence in these trials was poor and that there was a need for more high quality research into this topic.
Follow the link to read more!
Laser therapy for dentinal hypersensitivity
by Yanhan Deng, Mina Mahdian, Aneesh Thomas George, Bowman Blake, Dingming Huang, Zongdao Shi
A review team from China, Iran, India and the US have collaborated on this protocol for a review which will examine the effectiveness of laser therapy for patients with hypersensitive teeth.
Other highlights of the Cochrane Library, Issue 11, 2011:
- An editorial on the Evidence Aid Initiative
- Music interventions for improving psychological and physical outcomes in cancer patients (see also Journal Club material and podcast)
- Effects of low sodium diet versus high sodium diet on blood pressure, renin, aldosterone, catecholamines, cholesterol, and triglyceride
- Exercise for improving balance in older people
- Xylitol for preventing acute otitis media in children up to 12 years of age
- Cognitive reframing for carers of people with dementia (see also podcast)
- Human albumin solution for resuscitation and volume expansion in critically ill patients (see also podcast)